Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Achieving (and teaching about) Goals



Have you ever really wanted something and worked hard to get it for a long time? Are you still working to achieve that goal? Feel like it’s a long time in coming? Wondering why it hasn’t happened yet? 

Just last night these questions plagued me.
My husband and I are teachers and as we talked, a hypothetical analogy presented itself. It went a little like this:

“Say you have a student who is struggling in your class. And he has effort to succeed. But sometimes it just doesn’t happen for him.”

“Yes, I have seen that before. Maybe he tries hard, but sometimes he just can’t do it, like it’s too much pressure in the moment. If he takes it home, he can finish it and bring it back. Sometimes it’s really not his fault. It might be how he was raised; maybe some have had traumatic experiences, delayed language, challenges from the time they was little.

“Ok. So do you feel bad for him and when he is working hard on something, automatically give him an ‘A’?”

“No. I work with him to help him improve. I make accommodations so he can succeed with the effort he gives, but I always push him to the next level asking more of him each time.”
Hmmm.

I believe in God and that He is our master teacher. He sees our greatest potential and how we need to improve to get there. He sees our effort and pushes us on. We have blocks in our way: patterns and limiting beliefs, maybe from our family, former teachers and friends, and society. These weaknesses challenge our ability to achieve.
As we work toward any worthy goal we learn principles of belief, faith, diligence, perseverance, and patience.
I remember in my master’s program. I would work so hard to improve my ASL stories and presentations for class just to be critiqued and pushed harder to be better. “Hadn’t I done enough?” I thought. When I graduated and went off to teach, I realized I had indeed done enough and it had paid off. My professors had pushed me and pushed me until I had reached a level where I could teach in a way that would lead my students to success. They didn’t give up on me. They didn’t stop pushing me and finding ways to teach me. That is how our Father in Heaven works. And that is why we don’t always achieve the goal on the first try.

Thoughts to ponder:  
1. What have you stopped working towards? Pick it up again. Have perseverance. 

2. Am I a good teacher to my children? Or do I just let them have what they want without teaching them these principles? Do I guide them to success? Going to be focusing on this more!


1 comment: